Monday, November 17, 2008

Weekend Update

What a weekend we had. Let's start with Friday.

On Friday, Grammy and I made stew for 150 people. I needed to make the stew for my grandfathers memorial the next day, so I had asked Grammy to come and help me put it together. We ended up peeling and cutting 20 pounds of potatoes, we use 5 pounds of baby carrots, 5 pounds of celery, a big bag of frozen corn and peas, and 15 pounds of stew meat. We were exhausted after the day of making this stew. I had two roaster pans of stew, which turned out too be way too much. I decided to start the roasters about 8pm and let them cook all night so they would be ready in the morning at 8am. After doctoring it up a little with some broth, beef gravy and some flour it was all very good. I think on Friday night I was in bed by 8:45pm. I know Grammy and Pop went home and took a nap. Thanks again for helping me on Friday!!

So Saturday we get up and head to the memorial to set up everything. We also run to Costco to get the rest of the food for the services. It starts at 11am everything is ready to go. The place looks awesome and Papa really would of had a good time seeing all of his good friends. Grandma did really well. The service and remembrances lasted about an hour and then we eat and partied! It was everything that my grandfather would have wanted. It was nice to be able to say goodbye. I still feel that he is going to answer the phone or just be at his house but I guess I will always feel like that.

Sunday we took the 7 great-grandchildren for Christmas pictures at Sears. Oh what fun that was. Here is 7 kids under 6 - getting their pictures taken. First Sears was having difficulty's with the camera, and then the younger kids didn't want to sit still or have pictures taken at all. In the end we got 2 poses that we liked and that was good enough for us. After that Amy, Jacob, Uncle Steve, Allyson, and Brynnah came up to our house for a visit. Chase and Cody get along very well with Allyson and Brynnah they had so much fun!

I wanted to tell Nancy and Dennis thank you for watching the kids on Saturday for me. It helped a bunch and I really appreciate it. Thanks again.

3 comments:

Harris Boys said...

your weekend sounds as crazy as mine. I'm glad your papa's service went so well. I know you miss him. HUGS!!

Rachael Schirano \\ Rachael Schirano Photography said...

wow, it sounds like your weekend was packed quite full. i am so happy to hear that saturday gave you an opportunity to say goodbye and that it went well. keeping you in my prayers...

ps - now i want some beef stew! yum! :)

Mamma Betts said...

I so wish I could have been there. But we had just moved and I was about to have Julie. D day was to close to leave the state. My thought were with you that day. Tami brought me a program from the services though and I keep it on my fridge. And I talk to his picture every now and then. I had always hoped my kids would hear his stories, I guess they will some day... Right? He was a wonderful man, I loved him dearly. I always loved holidays at their house. I miss all of you. Especially Unk.