Monday, May 4, 2009

Sleeping


For the past 6 months or so, we have been very bad about a sleeping routine. They were falling asleep in our arms on the couch as we were watching television, then I would carry them into their beds. Chase 5 out of the 6 nights sleep until 5am - the other 2 nights he came into our bed to stay at about midnight. Cody would just come into our bed about midnight every night to stay. I knew this was bad, but just knowing that they (too soon) will be not wanting anything to do with me because I am mom I was happy that they were there. But seeing how they will be turning 3 in a month I thought they should get used to going to sleep in there own bed and sleeping all night in there own bed. So I started last night.

We had baths, we played for a little while and about 8:30pm told the boys okay, give daddy kisses we are going to bed. It was all good. Went into the bedroom, they laid down, I read them 4 short books and they were laying in there beds doing good. Chase was laying there very good but Cody was bouncing all over the place, wanted to go to the couch, wanted daddy, and so on. They both started to get up now and I would just put them back into bed and tell them "Good night" and kiss them on the cheek. Soon, with Cody it was all out screaming. Finally, about 10:45pm they both went to sleep. They each needed something to drink to aide that though - so I will have to ween them off of that next.

Chase ended up coming into our room, twice, around 3am and I carried him back into his bedroom. He stayed the second time. Cody slept all night. This morning everyone was tired. I am hoping that this is a good foundation to give them some better sleeping habits.

I will keep you posted on how tonight's sleep goes.


7 comments:

SaraBelle said...

Oh Monica -- I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! I hope tonight is better (and tomorrow night even better than that!). I fear/dread the days they are no longer "trapped" in a crib!!

Sara said...

Oh good luck! I hope that every night goes smoother and soon they are drifting away with no need for drinks or trips into your bed.

Sara

debi9kids said...

What sweet baby pics!
Good luck with the sleep training. Stick to your guns and in a few days, they will be doing just great!

The Corradetti Clan said...

Oh I can My son Hunter is a great sleeper but my son Nicholas watch out. He comes in my bed 7 out of 7 nights andi like you said I feel like it is ok because there will be a day when he wants no part of me. I know it is a bad habit but.. thanks for the inspiration to try and get him to sleep in his own bed all night.

thanks for stopping by my blog Hope to see you again soon.

Heather said...

Oh, best of luck. Sleeping issues are tough, aren't they? I hope each night gets easier for you and them!

Amy said...

IT will get easier - it just takes a lot of patience and endurance. The girls still end up with us now and then. It just happens.

Becky @ Our Sweet Peas said...

Such a sweet pic at the bottom! I am not looking forward to transitioning the boys out of cribs. Yuck. Good luck with your endeavor.