I noticed over the last few weeks that Cody front top tooth was starting I thought turn a dark color. I know that he brushes his teeth pretty good for a 3 year old, with me helping sometimes. But didn't think it was just dirty. So last week took him to the dentist to get an x-ray on the tooth to find out what is happening.
He hated it, started crying in the car before going to the dentist. We have been to the dentist twice before this with no issues for cleaning and just to get to know the dentist.
So the dentist, looks into his mouth and notices the discolored tooth also. The dentist says that if the tooth is getting lighter in color than it was a week ago, then that it good. And they will leave it alone and let it repair itself. The roots look good but the nerve might be damaged, no way to tell. But if the tooth keeps getting darker, we will have to do a root canal. Now I am thinking, I am not going to traumatise my child with a root canal at 3 years old. When I myself, have never had one done. I guess the root canal will save the tooth. But they are his baby teeth, why can't he just loose it.
I don't know what happened, he must have bumped his mouth (tooth) when he fell down. But I wanted to see if anyone that reads my world, if they had any experience with root canals, dentist with 3 year old's, or discolored teeth.
6 days ago


9 comments:
Root canal at 3?? Yikes! That does seem a bit extreame! The only discoloration I'm familiar with is in preemies -- I've read that if your child was on CPAP for an extended period of time that it can cause some tooth issues in little ones. But I don't think your boys fall into that category, right? I hope all is OK and that it corrects itself on its own (or that it can just fall out until the "real" one grows in a few years!). Good luck!
oh boy am i the person to answer this post!!! emma had a to do with a metal baby gate once when she was 2 & 1/2. it swung and hit her right in the mouth. i thought it would for sure knock her front teeth out. we called the dentist and had an appt. It was emmas second or third visit to a dentist. so we didnt have any problems as far as that is concerned. But this is what they told me about teeth. If the tooth turns darker in color than the rest of the mouth than there is a problem. They said if that happens chances are that the tooth has died and will need to be removed. I agree with you that it is his baby tooth and there is no need to put him through that pain of a root canal. i have had three root canals on the same tooth. (it is a real problem tooth) and let me tell ya...it is REALLY painful!!! when they told me i would need yet another root canal on the same tooth...I said (politely of course) "Screw you!!" THERE IS NO WAY I WOULD DO A ROOT CANAL ON A 3 YEAR OLD!!!!! Hope this helps! & Good Luck!
My mom is a dental hygentist and has also worked with a pediatric dentist. I will get her opinion and get back to you.
We I was little I hit my front tooth on my knee jumping on the trampoline, my tooth then absessed, and they had to pull it, but since I was too young to lose the tooth, I had to wear a retained with a little front tooth on it to keep the space for my tooth. So maybe that is an option. Either way something will have to be done, or it can get badly infected.
If it hurts it's a different story but if not, it's a baby tooth, I would leave it alone! And if it did hurt at some point I think I'd opt for pulling it before a root canal - maybe it's time for a different dentist! Yikes! Good luck with everything!
Oh, I was coming by to say thanks for visiting and to let you know Koda's first day of vacation is up at my blog :-)
I've never heard of a root canal at that age. Maybe you should get a second oppinion from another dentist. I never heard of that before about discolored teeth. Andrew fell down once when he was 2 and hit the toilet and broke his whole tooth in half. I've never seen it discolored though. Hope his tooth gets better. I wouldn't want Andrew to go thru a root canal either. Good Luck with that!!
Seriously, a root canal at 3?
My girls have been to the dentist twice and the 3rd visit is in a month. The 1st visit was horrendous and 2nd was way better. I could only imagine what my daughters reaction would be to a root canal (I have not had one done either but I hear it is not pleasurable at all)
I am no help, I know, but do you think that maybe you could a 2nd opinion? I agree with you - the tooth will come out in a few years so why not leave it alone.
Wow, I hope that the tooth corrects itself. If it doesn't and it doesn't hurt him, I say leave it. But I am no dentist ;-)
Hi Monica, thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I'm going to follow you--I love reading about other families with twins! My friend's daughter was going to have to have a root canal done on TWO teeth. My friend was very uncomfortable with this. So she took her to another dentist who just pulled the teeth instead since they were her baby teeth.
Post a Comment